Friday, February 8, 2008

Seven Blue Rose Petals Have Been Crushed, Yet Their Fragrance Lives On










A lovely rose with petals soft, a scent so sweet and light,
So beautiful a flower with colors shining bright.

But something not so savory about the fragrant rose,
The thorns, so sharp upon the stem,
That sharpen as it grows.

Yet still lovely is the flower
Despite the thorns that prick,
Just as life and love are sweet,
They too have thorns that stick.

But do not fear to live or love,
Life's not exempt from pain.
So pick a rose, you may get hurt,
But you will also gain!

I love roses of all scents and colors.
They have always been my favorite flowers.
They remind me of the wonder of life and love,
While they are beautiful and delicate,
They also have thorns.

Just like life,
There are joys, and sorrows,
Sweet and bitter, light and dark.
When God created the rose,
I believe He was showing us
The opposites contained in life itself.

When a rose is crushed,
That is when its fragrance is at its best.
It is in our hardest times,
When we learn the most,
Not in our happiest times.

Roses are used in so many events in our lives,
More than any flower.
They are given to express love.
Rosebuds are often used to represent babies
And are used at weddings, and funerals.

There, again we have a rose
Used in a happy event and a sad one.
They also come in many colors
And varieties, just as people do.

After the coldest winter,
We know the rose will bloom again.
After the storms, there are rainbows.

When the rose dies, its fragrance lives on.
When a human rose dies,
Their fragrance lives on too,
In memories on earth, and in the garden of God.

I know there are seven fragrant
Crushed blue rose petals in the garden of God.

In Memoriam of my classmates,

Shelley Herndon Reyes

Please share your memories and stories about these classmates on the blog.

4 comments:

JUDY DELK said...

Memories of Martha Bender
Martha was a close friend, we use to laugh until we cried, at nothing...we use to make jokes about our parents and swear we would never be like them and go to bed early and eat at 5. I went through the Barry and Joey days with her. Our Mothers use to get together and eat out and go play bingo. I still have a gift Martha gave me and I still use it, it brings back memories at times.
Judy Williams Delk

JUDY DELK said...

Martha Bender was a close friend of mine, we use to laugh until we cried at nothing....I went through the Barry and Joey days with her.
I still have a gift she gave me, and still use it today. Sometimes when I am in the kitchen and see it, I will remember something she said or did and smile.
Judy Williams Delk

n duncan said...

Ronnie Barnett, Kenny Raigns and Martha Bender were very special to me but in very different ways. I grew up a mile from Kenny and went to the Meth. Church in Prairie with he and Ann Craig. We had many, many fun times. We went to the MS gulf coast one summer as a group (very little group) and I remember how much fun we had and how good it was to be there with our leaders, etc...Kenny held us together and was our laison with the Church. They took us more seriously because of him. When he started working with Ms King for State debate, I saw less and less of him. I wish I had made the effort and worked harder to know him better.

n duncan said...

Memories of Ronnie Barnett
Ronnie was such fun guy!!! I remember watching him write on the last pices of paper in a spiral notebook one day. We were on the second floor in a corner room and he was using a pen with that pretty writing and the pen was klicking on the cardboard backing of the spiral. He looked up and said, "Whatcha lookin at"? I asked if he'd teach me to write that pretty and he said he would. The last time I talked w/ him was for about 2 hours at a reunion at the Country Club. He was troubled. I wish I had kept in touch.